Resources for Writers
Here are links to trustworthy writing resources.
Make an appointment at the Coe Writing Center
- MLA Website Quick Guide
- APA Website Style and Grammar Guidelines
- Chicago Manual of Style Website Quick Guide
- Purdue OWL Research and Citation Resources
- Includes information on how to use all of the above plus IEEE, AMA, ASA.
- Types of Academic Writing
- Learn about the purpose and expectations of a variety of common college writing assignments: lab reports, mathematical papers, library research papers, personal statement essays and opinion papers.
- Breaking Down Assignments
- Break down a writing project into manageable steps. A general guide to completing any college-level written assignment, followed by more specific guides for completing lab reports, research essays, reflections, journal reviews and case study reports. Created by the University of Waterloo Writing and Communication Centre in Ontario, Canada.
- Assignment Planner
- Make a day-by-day plan to finish a writing project with this online assignment calculator. Specific advice for these projects: annotated bibliography, business report, exam, infographic, lab report, literature review, presentation, reflection paper, research essay, video project. Writing Center consultants are happy to work with you on any of the steps generated by this planner. Created by Seneca College Libraries and Learning Centres in Ontario, Canada.
Grammar and Proofreading
- Grammar Videos
- Watch 2-minute videos describing some important sentence-level constructions: active vs. passive voice, thesis statements, semicolon usage, formal vs. casual language, comma usage.
- Editing and Proofreading Tips
- Tips and strategies for editing and proofreading your own writing. Created by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Writing Center.
Job Search Writing
- Purdue OWL Job Search Writing Pages
- Tips and strategies for a wide range of job search writing: cover letters, resumes, personal statements and teaching philosophy statements, plus job search strategies.
- C3's Introduction to Resumes, Cover Letters and References