Employers and corporate leaders all point to creativity and innovation as essential job skills for the 21st century.
We help students practice their problem-solving skills in creative and collaborative environments from the classroom to the community. One way to develop these skills is by taking part in national competitions which foster entrepreneurial thinking. Check out the link below to find out more!
Our initiatives include:
- 24-hour entrepreneurship and innovation event.
- Come and pitch your idea for a business or a non-profit.
- Receive coaching from the Corridor’s finest executives and entrepreneurs.
- Network with Coe alumni, faculty, and community members.
- Compete for prize money to make your vision a reality!
Entrepreneur in Residence
- Do you have an idea for a business? Dream of starting a non-profit? Do you think maybe there’s a better way? What would it take to move your idea to reality?
- NewBoCo and Iowa Startup Accelerator Director, David Tominsky ’98, holds office hours right here on campus for on-site coaching and consulting services intended to build upon our history of entrepreneurial thinking.
- Design Thinking is a creative method of problem-solving that encourages innovative and creative solutions that are human-centered as well as economically viable. It’s used by major corporations like IBM, Intuit, GE and Samsung.
- At Coe we offer Design Thinking workshops, courses where students practice this problem-solving methodology while addressing real-world issues.
- For example, a design thinking collaborative worked with the Family Caregivers Center of Mercy Hospital to assist them in broadening the reach of their services. Another group focused on developing practical (think taxes and cooking) learning opportunities for Coe students.
- The Innovation Labs are an experiment intended to integrate experiential learning into the standard curricular frame, with real-world involvement as their core element.
- Students in Innovation Labs can explore, examine, test prototypes and work on projects with community members and the college.
- Experiences in Innovation Labs are messy, full of failures and challenges from the annoying to the serious. But what better way to prepare you for life in the "real world" where things rarely go according to plan?
Your Initiative Here
We make it possible, but you make it happen! Do you have an idea, an entrepreneurial project, a collaborative enterprise you have been wanting to explore? Bring it to C3, and we will help you take the steps to make it happen!