Sample Four-Year Plan
Special attention should be given to the numerical ordering of the courses listed below:
- Courses numbered below 100 offer general introductions to religion: Belief and Unbelief, Eastern Religions, Western Religions.
- Courses numbered 100-199 are introductory courses focused on specific traditions: Introduction to Hebrew Bible, Introduction to New Testament, Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Chinese Religions.
- Courses numbered 200-299 are topical courses especially suitable for sophomore level and above.
- Courses numbered 300-399 are advanced courses with prerequisites.
The following represents one of many paths students can take to complete a major in religion. A grade of “C” (2.0) or higher must be earned in all courses counted toward a major in religion.
Note that students typically take four courses per semester for a total of eight each year. Check the Coe catalog to review all of your options.
- REL-010 Introduction to Religion
- REL-036 Eastern Religions
- REL-048 Western Religions
- REL-105 Introduction to Hebrew Bible
- REL-116 Buddhism
- REL-206 Buddhist Thought
- REL-215 The Rise of Christianity
- REL-310 Early Christian Gospels
- REL-338 Modern Religious Thought
- REL-365 The Letters of Paul