Click on the image to view a larger version and learn more about the campus at that time.
Map of Cedar Rapids shows the original 80 acres purchased by Daniel Coe. The parcel of land is outlined by the rectangle which divides College Block and ends in the Fair Grounds. The main campus was built on College Block (Iowa Avenue is known today as First Avenue).
The earliest aerial of Coe’s campus shows Eby Fieldhouse (1930) at the top of the photograph. In front of Eby, in the middle of campus, is Stewart Memorial Library (1931). To the right is Voorhees Hall, built in two parts: 1915 and 1918. Next to Voorhees is the Old Gym (1904), which later became the Women’s Gym. In the far right corner of the photograph is the Carnegie Hall of Science and (1910) to the left of that is the Sinclair Memorial Chapel (1911). Directly to the left of the chapel is Marshall Hall (1900). To the far left of the photo against First Avenue is Old Main (1868), the first building on campus. It housed the dormitory, president’s suite, classrooms, bookstore, chapel, library, and even a basketball court. Behind that is Williston Hall (1882), which served as the women’s dormitory and dining hall.
Greene Hall, the mirror image of Voorhees, is visible for the first time in this aerial. The men’s dormitory was built in 1938. This is the last aerial where the original T.M. Sinclair Memorial Chapel is visible; the chapel burned down on September 5, 1947.
Williston Hall was replaced by Hickok Hall in 1950 and in 1951 the new Sinclair Memorial Chapel was built. The square building next to Eby Fieldhouse is the R.O.T.C. Armory.
Marshall Hall was demolished in 1956 to make room for Marquis Hall, which was built on the back of Sinclair Chapel in 1959. The new dormitory, Freshmen Hall, later renamed Armstrong and Douglas, was built next to Eby in 1961.
Murray Hall, the tallest building on campus (to the far left) and Gage Memorial Union (to the right of the library) were both built in 1966. This year also saw the expansion of Eby Fieldhouse. The Old Gym, known as the TUB (Temporary Union Building), was demolished to make way for Peterson Hall, the new science building between the old science building and Voorhees.
The completion of Coe Road in 1966 made it possible to remove B Avenue, which one ran through the center of campus in front of Stewart Memorial Library. Coe Road rerouted traffic around campus. In 1968 Peterson Hall was completed and in 1976 the Carnegie Hall of Science (old science building) was renamed Stuart Hall.
Old Main was torn down in 1971 and was replaced with Dows Fine Arts Center, completed in 1974. No two walls in Dows form a right angle.
The Nataorium (swimming pool) was built onto the Eby Fieldhouse in 1980.
The Raymond K. Clark Racquet Center and football field was built across the street from Eby in 1989. Facilities inside the center include racquetball and squash courts, a track, tennis courts, and cardio equipment.
Clark Racquet Center is visible across the street from Eby Fieldhouse, next to Clark Field. The Racquet Center was dedicated in 1989. Across the street from Peterson hall and set back from the street, Clark Alumni House (1993) is visible.
The campus apartments, Spivey, Brandt, Schlarbaum, and Morris, (between the Racquet Center and Alumni House) were completed between 2000 and 2002. The Helen Nassif Admissions House (across the street from Voorhees) was completed in April of 1999.