Pre-Med Internship & Research Opportunities
You will have opportunities at Coe that will optimize and enhance entrance to medical school through excellent academic preparation coupled with:
- Communication skill development, with programs like Writing Across the Curriculum, the Speaking Center and the nationally recognized Coe Writing Center
- Personal attention for advising
- An environment that fosters an appreciation for theatre, art, music, social sciences and athletics
- Research opportunities in biology, chemistry, physics, psychology and economics through summer programs and independent study (about 50 students participate in research each summer)
- Volunteer opportunities in patient care at two nearby regional hospitals, as well as many other medical offices in the MedQuarter
- Participation in pre-medicine conferences, such as at the Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine at the University of Iowa
- Interaction with alumni and invited speakers in health, medicine and biomedical research
Our location provides internship opportunities at six medical centers and hundreds of other companies such as Cargill, ADM, Iowa Academy of Science, Integrated DNA Technologies, the DNR and many more.
Campus is within walking distance of two top 25 teaching hospitals, St. Luke’s Hospital and Mercy Medical Center, as well as many other medical offices in the MedQuarter, where students have volunteer and internship opportunities with patient care.
Coe's exceptional health and science internship program offers students a chance to spend May Term exploring career options in medicine, laboratory science or related fields.
One of the advantages of being at a school like Coe is the opportunity conduct research with one of your professors. This can take place during the academic year — as an independent study — or during the summer. The faculty have advanced training in their field of expertise and bring this wealth of knowledge to the laboratory setting. Keep in mind that most summer positions at Coe include pay, free housing and a free course credit. Coe's Research Experience for Undergraduate site funds students from across the nation to come and do research at Coe — it also is open to Coe students.
Coe labs are equipped with top-of-the-line equipment available exclusively to undergraduate students. Kohawks have access to this instrumentation and the opportunity to conduct independent research in their first term.