There are many opportunities to explore mathematics outside the classroom at Coe, and we encourage students to take advantage of as many of them as they can!
- Coe has a very active Math Club, funded through the Student Senate and driven by student interest. The Math Club organizes at least one event per month through the academic year, with a wide variety of activities. We've enjoyed surprisingly high participation, with as many as 45 people turning up for speakers and more than a dozen involved in winter break reading projects.
- Association for Computing Machinery's International Collegiate Programming Contest
- The annual Putnam Mathematical Competition
- The Iowa Section of the MAA's Collegiate Mathematics Competition
- Numerous internship opportunities in the metropolitan area
- Summer research programs both on and off campus
- Off-campus study programs at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and elsewhere
- Senior honors projects on a wide range of topics
The department is housed in space with technology designed right into all classrooms and work spaces. Smart classrooms, graphing calculators, computer algebra systems like Mathematica and Maple, statistical software like Minitab and SPSS, and up-to-date software development systems such as .NET are all available and used throughout our department.