World Languages and Cultures
"The Spanish Department at Coe is always so engaging. Students are able to study the grammar and usage of the language while simultaneously learning more about culture, history and current world issues in a variety of ways. There are opportunities to get involved throughout the year by attending presentations by speakers from Spanish-speaking countries as well as taking a May Term! My overall experience with this department has been a lot of fun and I cannot wait to continue my studies and application of the language."
Erica Ernzen '20
Why study languages at Coe?
Studying language, literature and culture is by nature interdisciplinary.
Professors are interested in educating the whole student, not merely to teach material within a narrow range of knowledge. Coe offers innovative courses designed to further language acquisition and important critical skills with an emphasis on cultural studies. Developing a greater intercultural understanding is the focus of studying foreign languages at Coe.
- Faculty is encouraging and supportive — we know students do their best work with high standards and full confidence in their abilities.
- Close community of faculty and students.
- Emphasis on practical, hands-on approach to language learning—we want students be understand and be able to function as soon as they begin their first course.
- We don’t forget that one of the major goals of learning a second language is the sheer pleasure of discovery and learning something completely new.
- Each course is designed to focus on the myriad interactions between language, culture, and the arts.
- Class activities include improvisational theatre, masquerade balls, mini creative writing workshops, film fests, elegant soirées with impersonators of the rich and famous, song and dance, dramatic renderings of famous texts, storytelling, and anything else that makes languages alive for students.
- We provide as many immersion experiences on and off campus as possible.
- Individualized learning goals for each student.
- Great study abroad opportunities in France, Canada, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Switzerland and more!