Sample Four-Year Plan
The writing major is designed to help students become skilled, reflective writers capable of composing texts in a variety of genres and responding effectively to diverse rhetorical situations.
Students choosing a writing major or minor may not select either the collateral major or the minor in creative writing offered by the English Department.
The following represents one of many paths students can take to complete a major in Writing.
Note that students typically take four courses per semester for a total of eight each year. Check the Coe catalog to review all of your options.
- COM-125 Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- RHE-137 Creative Nonfiction and American Culture
- RHE-200 Rhetorical Theory & Practice
- COM-241 Introduction to Multimedia Journalism
- RHE-255 The Essay
- RHE-265 Professional Writing
- RHE-285 Technical Writing and Information Design
- RHE-357 Environmental Rhetoric
- COM-337 Persuasion
- COM-341 Digital Storytelling
- RHE-415 Advanced Writing Workshop