Whipple Fire House opened in the fall of 2014. Coe took possession of the former fire station at 1424 B Avenue NE from the city of Cedar Rapids.
Originally, the college planned to renovate the existing space for 26 students, by using the second-floor bedrooms used by the firefighters and by creating additional rooms in the former truck bays. After careful evaluation, college leaders developed a cost-effective way to add to the second floor of the fire house, thereby creating beds for a total of 37 students.
The Fire House sits in the middle of the college’s campus expansion project, which includes the two and one-half block area between 14th Street NE and 15th Street NE along A, B and C Avenues NE.