Coe College continues a long tradition of attempting to meet the assessed need of academically qualified students whose family resources are inadequate. In fact, over 99% of current students receive some form of financial assistance. Aid may include scholarships, state or federal grants, loans or on-campus jobs.
Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for students to receive any need-based Coe College, state or federal funds. Families must submit the FAFSA annually. Priority consideration for financial aid funds will be given to students who file their FAFSA by March 1.
The FAFSA filing process now allows applicants to submit their 2019-2020 FAFSA as early as October 1, 2018.
The 19-20 FAFSA will collect income information from the tax/calendar year one year earlier than has been used in the past. Thus for the 2019-2020 FAFSA, students and families will provide income information from the calendar year 2017 and not from the calendar year 2018. Because of this, applicants can submit the application sooner, and almost all tax return filers will be able to transfer their tax information electronically directly into their FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT).
Parents are encouraged to review the Financial Aid Handbook and contact the financial aid office with any questions. However, it is important for parents to understand that once their son or daughter is registered for classes, most records created and maintained by the financial aid office will be considered education records and disclosure of such records will be dictated by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Under FERPA, the access rights that parents had in the elementary and secondary school setting are transferred to the student. Consequentially, the student must provide his or her consent before financial aid staff can discuss with parents information related to a student’s financial aid. Students may set FERPA permissions in my.coe.edu from the Student tab (Grant Parent Access link). A complete description of FERPA is available in the Coe College catalog.
Financial Aid Application Calendar
- October 2018 - Filing instructions for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming year are sent to students at their permanent home addresses and their Coe email accounts.
- October 2018 - The 2017-18 FAFSA is available to students at fafsa.gov.
- December 2018 - Renewal reminder notices are sent to students who have not yet filed a 2018-19 FAFSA.
- February 2019 - Students should file their FAFSA by February 1 to receive priority consideration for financial aid funds. Funds subject to the February 1 priority deadline include, but are not limited to, the Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG), the Federal Perkins Loan, the Coe Grant and the McElroy and Canfield institutional loans.
- January 2019 - The Coe Financial Aid Office reviews processed FAFSAs. Students who were selected for verification will be required to submit all documents requested by the Financial Aid Office before a financial aid award can be issued.
- June 2019 - Financial aid awards for returning students who have met all administrative requirements are sent via email to students' Coe email address and can be viewed on my.coe.edu accounts.
- July 2019 - The first billing statement for the 2019-2020 academic year is available online by mid July.