The Victory Bell has been a part of Coe's tradition since 1913. The original bell cracked in 1972 and was replaced in 1975. The replacement bell met the same fate in 1998. In the fall of 2000, Coe celebrated the installation of its third Victory Bell.
The Victory Bell is symbolic in that it stands for what Coe has achieved in the past and hopes to achieve in the future. It's very name is synonymous with achievement, not only in the field of athletics, but in academics and the betterment of Coe as well. In 1995, Coe started a new tradition. First-year students ring the bell when they commence to their opening convocation. The bell is rung again four years later, at graduation, to celebrate the successful completion of a degree.