Healthiest State Initiative — The Healthiest State Initiative is a program intended to inspire communities throughout the state of Iowa to improve their health and happiness.
Healthy Hometown — Coe College is proud to support the efforts of Healthy Hometown. Healthy Hometown was adopted by the city of Cedar Rapids and aims to make the city and our campus an even better place to live. Healthy Hometown aims to make the healthy choice, the easy choice, using evidence-based interventions and tools.
Helpful Online Health Resources:
- The Mayo Clinic — Sponsored by the famed Mayo Clinic, this site offers a search tool, diseases and information by topic, newsletters and Timely Topics, as well as the ability to set up a personal page to match your health and wellness issues.
- WebMD Health — Put together by doctors and award-winning journalists, this site offers a search tool, newsletters and a directory of health issues.
- MEDLINE — National Library of Medicine. Health professionals and consumers alike can depend on it for information that is authoritative and up to date. MEDLINE plus has extensive information from the National Institutes of Health and other trusted sources on over 600 diseases and conditions.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) — The CDC works to protect America from health, safety and security threats, both foreign and in the U.S. Whether diseases start at home or abroad, are chronic or acute, curable or preventable, human error or deliberate attack, CDC fights disease and supports communities and citizens to do the same.
Websites for specific issues:
Drugs, Alcohol and Related Issues
- In The Know Zone — Clickable categories cover many different subject areas, including, substance abuse education. This an interactive website produced by Syndistar Inc., a leader in the publication of supplemental educational print, video and software.
- Drug Rehab Locator — Helping you find a drug rehab location that's best for you.
- Addiction Center — Addiction Center was founded by recovering addicts and health information writers. Their goal is to provide the most up-to-date information on addiction as well as reviews of top treatment centers across the country. For immediate treatment help call 877.680.9296.
- College Drug Abuse — This resource provides information on binge drinking, study aid stimulants (Adderall, etc.) and drug use among college students.
Mental Health Issues
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) — The nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
- Foundation 2 — Foundation 2 is a not-for-profit human service agency that offers crisis prevention and intervention programs to people of all ages. They are committed to positive youth development, suicide prevention and helping build the foundation for stronger and healthier families and safer communities for everyone. Available 24/7: Call 800.332.4224.
- American Association of Suicidology — Know the warning signs of suicide.
- Riverview Center — Riverview Center is a nonprofit agency committed to providing compassionate, client-centered care for individuals affected by sexual assault in Iowa and for individuals affected by sexual and domestic violence in Illinois.
- College depression: What parents need to know — College depression is a common problem. Understand why the transition to college makes young adults vulnerable to depression and what you can do about it.
- The Top Mental Health Challenges Facing Students — The National Alliance on Mental Illness, estimates nearly 33% of college students have experienced debilitating depression over the last year. This absolutely impacts student outcomes. In fact, 64% of students who drop out of school do so because of their mental health. This prompted college planning experts at BestColleges.com to develop "The Top Mental Health Challenges Facing Students."
STIs and Sexual Health Issues
- American Sexual Health Association — This site is put together by ASHA a nongovernmental resource that has advocated on behalf of patients to help improve public health outcomes since 1914. You will find facts, support and resources to answer questions, find referrals, join HELP groups and get access to in-depth information about sexually transmitted diseases.
- CDC Information on Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
- Young Women's Health — This is a collaboration between the Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine and the Division of Gynecology at Boston Children's Hospital. The center is an educational entity that exists to provide teen girls and young women with carefully researched health information, health education programs and conferences.
- The Besider — Bedsider.org is an online birth control support network for women 18-29 operated by The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, a private nonprofit organization.
Know and Protect Your Skin
- American Academy of Dermatology — This site is put together by the AAD. It has a search tool and clickable categories for specific skin disorders. Also available are articles from the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology.
- Skin Cancer Foundation