Students gathered at a table

Outside Sources of Funding

Outside sources are funds received by the student from a source other than Coe. This would not include sources of funding awarded by Coe even if they were from another organization (e.g. Federal Pell Grants are funded by the Department of Education, but awarded by Coe).

Outside Scholarships:

  1. All outside scholarships must be reported to the Office of Financial Aid.
  2. Checks for outside scholarships should be sent directly to the Student Accounts Office at Coe. If the check is made payable to the student or jointly to the student and Coe College, the student will need to endorse the check. Student Accounts will notify the student if he/she needs to sign the check. The student needs to stop in the Business Office on the first floor of Voorhees Hall to take care of this. A prompt response to the scholarship emails is appreciated.
  3. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure each scholarship donor has all required paperwork completed and sends payment as soon as possible.
  4. When figuring the payments for each semester, families should only take into account payments from scholarships that will be received prior to the start of the semester.
  5. Scholarships received after the start of the semester may be used to adjust the payment plan established at that time or applied toward the following semester.

VA Benefits:

VA Benefits are offered through the Department of Veterans Affairs, which administers the program. The Registrar's Office at Coe is the official certifying office on campus.

  1. Students who receive educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs should be in contact with the Financial Aid Office early to determine how this will impact their package for the following year.
  2. Contact should also be made as soon as possible with the Registrar’s Office to ensure the office has all required paperwork to allow them to certify enrollment for the student.
  3. Contact with the Student Accounts Office to discuss the best way to set up payments based on these benefits is essential prior to the beginning of the academic year. The Student Accounts Office can assist students to find the best payment plan option based on the timing of these payments from the government.
  4. Veterans Affairs handles payment differently based on the type of program a student is eligible for. Many programs send payment directly to the student while other programs send tuition payments directly to Coe. Determining how benefits will be handled will be discussed when meeting with Student Accounts.

Vocational Rehabilitation:

Vocational Rehabilitation (Voc Rehab) in a student’s home state may offer monetary assistance to help pay for college.

  1. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the Vocational Rehabilitation Office where he or she intends to go to school.
  2. The Vocational Rehabilitation Office should then contact the Student Accounts Office with the authorization that allows the college to bill the amount the office is willing to pay toward a student’s education.
  3. A student may reduce the semester bill by the amount that is authorized by the Vocational Rehabilitation office as soon as the authorization is at Coe. Coe College will handle processing of the payment with the Vocational Rehabilitation office at that time.