Coe College banner

International Students and Study Abroad

FAQ: Study Abroad for International Students


Can I study abroad as an international student?

Yes. Coe encourages all students to take advantage of international academic experiences. As an international student studying abroad, you will work with both the DSO, for questions regarding your status here in the US, and John Chaimov, Director of Off-Campus Studies, who will assist you with program-specific questions about visas and entry requirements for the destination you wish to visit.

When, where, and for how long can I study abroad?

You must be a currently enrolled and a degree-seeking student. As an F-1 visa holder, you may participate in a program abroad at any point in your college career, but you are strongly encouraged to avoid these programs during the last semester prior to your graduation. Please meet with the DSO to discuss visa regulations and restrictions according to your status here at Coe. Remember that he can only advise on your status here in the US, and cannot provide any visa or other entry information about the country you wish to visit for your study abroad program.

At Coe, students on programs led by Coe faculty (May Term, Asia Term, etc.) are welcome to participate in any year. However, if you are interested in participating in one of Coe’s exchange programs or an ACM programs, you will need to plan to do this for junior or senior year. Please meet with John Chaimov to discuss specific details, including whether the program(s) you are interested in last for a few weeks, a semester, or a full academic year.

Do I need a visa to get into my study abroad destination country/transit country(ies)?

Your admission into another country – including transit countries – will depend on your country of citizenship, as well as your specific country of destination. When researching your possible visa needs, don’t forget to factor in connecting flights. Some destinations may also have requirements about the length of validity of your US visa.

Visa service providers, like Travisa, may be able to assist in visa requirements and processing to your study abroad destination. If you are traveling as part of a group (US and international students) who will all require visas for entry to your destination, regardless of nationality, John Chaimov will assist you in applying for your travel visa. If you are applying for entry to a country where US citizens do not require a visa for the duration of the program, you will need to research and apply for the appropriate visa independently.

To find out if you will need a visa for the country you wish to enter, please visit Travisa and/or the appropriate consulate or embassy website for that particular country.

Do I need a valid F-1 visa to return to the United States?

You will need a valid F-1 visa in order to return to the United States. Meet with the DSO to discuss visa requirements and additional travel information. For information regarding visa renewal, please visit the US Embassy website for a list of US embassies around the globe. Valid travel signatures will be required upon returning to the United States. It is your responsibility to obtain a travel signature on your Form I-20 prior to departing the United States for your study abroad.

Can I take a different flight from the group flight?

Group flights are required for most short-term programs and their itineraries may not be altered. Some Coe study abroad programs, however, require that you make your own travel arrangements. Program information provided by John Chaimov, or, in some cases, the director of the program (for example, May Term and Asia Term) will include whether a group flight is required for your program.

What are my payment responsibilities?

Program costs vary. Please see John Chaimov for more information about the specific programs that interest you.

Program fees may be paid differently for various types of programs. If you are participating in non-Coe sponsored program, you may pay some fees directly to host institutions or third-party providers. All programs have some fees paid directly to Coe, which will be posted on your Coe College student account. Please meet with John Chaimov to discuss how fees are paid. What you pay directly to Coe is due on the same date as your tuition and fees are due for registration for the semester in which you will study abroad. Any financial aid awarded to you will be deducted from the total charges. Though, students can’t apply Coe aid to their tuition on the term they go on a non-Coe-administered program. Please discuss these details with John Chaimov.

Importantly, if you wish to withdraw from your program or are unable to obtain a travel visa for your program destination, you should contact both John Chaimov and the DSO. Some fees may not be reimbursable.

What do I need to do before I leave and what do I need to carry with me?

Be sure to consult the DSO to have your immigration documents reviewed and signed before you leave the US. Setting up a meeting via email is the best way to ensure you have the necessary time to discuss your needs.

Do I need insurance?

As a part of your acceptance to participate in a study abroad program, you will be required to sign a form acknowledging that you have adequate health insurance in the country/ies you will travel to. For more details, please discuss with John Chaimov.