Health & Wellness

Wellness is much more than merely physical health, exercise or nutrition. It is the full integration of states of physical, mental and spiritual well-being.

The Health and Wellness Office seeks to maximize student well-being by helping students reach their full potential.  The office helps students minimize harmful behaviors while teaching students skills that promote healthy living. This is accomplished through offering; meditation, counseling, sleep programs, fitness classes and many other opportunities that promote growth across all dimensions of wellness.

Emily Barnard

Emily Barnard MSW, LISW

Director of Health and Wellness, Counselor

Melea White

Melea White M.Div, LSSW, LISW


Photo Not Available

Olson Marriage and Family Clinic

1650 Matterhorn Dr NE
Cedar Rapids, IA

What Coe Students Need to Know About Health Insurance

  • If you currently have insurance, make sure your current insurance policy covers you in Eastern Iowa.  If not, please contact your company directly to see if it’s possible to make special arrangements for out-of-area coverage. Sometimes students are able to access coverage through an "away from home" policy as a full time student.
  • Coe College does not offer an insurance plan to domestic students.
  • The Affordable Care Act allows students to stay on their parents’ policy until the age of 26.
  • Make sure your current insurance policy covers you in Eastern Iowa.  If not, please contact your company to see if it’s possible to make special arrangements for out-of-area coverage.
  • Avoid high deductible or “young invincible” policies.  They may not provide coverage for routine health care.
  • Make sure your policy covers medical and mental health expenses including appointments, tests/assessments and prescriptions.

Need to purchase insurance and don’t know what to do? (While Coe doesn’t endorse a specific agency or policy, here are some resources that may be helpful to you.)

Online policies (including but not limited to):

When you move to a new state for college, it is a qualifying event that allows you to get a new policy on the marketplace.  You may consider purchasing a policy that will cover you in Iowa, or you may consider applying for Medicaid that would cover you while you're a student here. For information on how to apply for Medicaid in Iowa, go to:  

Of note, if you have / had Medicaid in your home state other than Iowa, in order to access Medicaid coverage locally, you will need to cancel your current coverage and apply for Iowa Medicaid. Medicaid does not automatically transfer and Medicaid from another state does not cover services in Iowa.

Of Course You Need Health Insurance!

On-campus services do not include physicians, psychiatry, or other specialists, or prescription services. While we do offer some physical health and counseling support, these services may not meet all your needs. Insurance coverage is an essential part of accessing healthcare while you're in college. You are not invincible. Don’t put your college education at risk due to unexpected medical bills.


Seven Dimensions of Wellness

  • Social Wellness is the ability to relate to and connect with other people in our world. Our ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with family, friends and co-workers contributes to our Social Wellness.
  • Emotional Wellness is the ability to understand ourselves and cope with the challenges life can bring. The ability to acknowledge and share feelings of anger, fear, sadness or stress; hope, love, joy and happiness in a productive manner contributes to our Emotional Wellness.
  • Spiritual Wellness is the ability to establish peace and harmony in our lives. The ability to develop congruency between values and actions and to realize a common purpose that binds creation together contributes to our Spiritual Wellness.
  • Environmental Wellness is the ability to recognize our own responsibility for the quality of the air, the water and the land that surrounds us. The ability to make a positive impact on the quality of our environment, be it our homes, our communities or our planet contributes to our Environmental Wellness.
  • Occupational Wellness is the ability to get personal fulfillment from our jobs or our chosen career fields while still maintaining balance in our lives. Our desire to contribute in our careers to make a positive impact on the organizations we work in and to society as a whole leads to Occupational Wellness.
  • Intellectual Wellness is the ability to open our minds to new ideas and experiences that can be applied to personal decisions, group interaction and community betterment. The desire to learn new concepts, improve skills and seek challenges in pursuit of lifelong learning contributes to our Intellectual Wellness.
  • Physical Wellness is the ability to maintain a healthy quality of life that allows us to get through our daily activities without undue fatigue or physical stress. The ability to recognize that our behaviors have a significant impact on our wellness and adopting healthful habits (routine check ups, a balanced diet, exercise, etc.) while avoiding destructive habits (tobacco, drugs, alcohol, etc.) will lead to optimal Physical Wellness.