Veterans and Military Students

Resources for Veterans and Military Students

Coe College adopted the Principles of Excellence Standards issued in Executive Order 13607.  To comply with this order, prospective students, who informed the college that they may be eligible to receive military or veterans' benefits, will receive a pre-enrollment form (College Financing Plan) that was developed by the Department of Education.  This pre-enrollment form is issued as a supplement to the college's standard financial aid offer to assist prospective students who are eligible to receive Federal military or veterans' educational benefits in making informed choices about how to use their Federal educational benefits.  

Coe College is proud to participate in the following programs:

  • Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program (Chapter 33)
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program(Chapter 35)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program(Chapter 1607)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation - Veterans with Disabilities (Chapter 31)
  • Tuition Assistance

Notes:  The VA has 7 different chapters so the student needs to know from which chapter they receive funds.  

  1. The file number for Chapter 35 is the donor's social security number.
  2. The file number for Chapter 33 is the recipient's (student's) social security number.
  3. The file number for all other chapters is the student's social security number.

Applying for Educational Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs administers programs for veterans seeking assistance for education and training.  If you are a veteran, or dependent of a veteran, and plan to receive educational benefits as determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs, contact the Coe VA Certifying Official, Jodie Chadima by phone at 319.399.8528 or email at, once you have done the following:

  1. Go to information and learn how to apply for and manage educational benefits
  2. Submit the following information to the Certifying Official:
    • Certificate of Eligibility from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
  3. The Certifying Official will then submit an online form certifying that you are a student at Coe, the number of credits you are registered for and make changes to your record, if necessary.  You must notify the Registrar's Office if you change your enrollment to part time.  

Benefits usually begin six to eight weeks after initial certification.

Tuition Assistance (TA) may be offered through the various branches of the military.  Soldiers must request TA through GoArmyEd on a course-by-course basis prior to the course start date or before the school's late registration period.  Students should contact the Education Officer of their unit for information on these programs.

The National Guard Scholarship (NG)

NG is a state funded tuition assistance program administered by the Iowa College Student Aid Commission for members of the Iowa National Guard who have not met the requirements of a bachelors degree and are enrolled in an Iowa College or university accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.  NG and GoArmyEd may be used together!

Eligibility Criteria:

  1. Iowa Resident (determined by The Adjutant General of Iowa)

  2. Active member of the Iowa Army or Air National Guard (satisfactory performance of duty)

  3. Completion of Initial Entry Training (Basic Training & Advanced Individual Training)

  4. Cannot receive award for more than 30 credits at Coe (equivalent to 120 semester credit hours)

  5. Must complete FAFSA and Iowa Financial Aid Application by July 1 (Fall term) and December 1 (Spring term)

Keeping your Benefits

VA students are responsible for notifying Jodie Chadima of their enrollment plans each semester at Coe.  All students receiving VA benefits have the responsibility to notify Jodie Chadima of any changes in credit hours enrolled once the semester begins.  Failure to notify Jodie Chadima may result in incorrect payment for which the veteran will be held liable.

VA benefits will also be contingent on Coe's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

VA students should check carefully with the Registrar or Financial Aid Advisor if contemplating repeating a course, withdrawing from Coe, dropping a class, electing to take a delayed grade or interrupting class attendance.

Educational Advising

The Coe College catalog, which includes the requirements for all majors, general education and degree requirements is available to all students.  In addition, students may access a record of courses they have earned credit for and the remaining requirements for this educational plan at

The individual educational plan includes transfer credits accepted from other institutions and how/if those credits apply to the students' major, general education requirements or elective credits so students can self-monitor their progress to completion.  This plan is available to the student upon matriculation and initial registration at Coe College.  The service member is responsible for providing this information to their Service's education office.

Finally, students are assigned an advisor and have the freedom to change that assignment at any time after the first term.  This advisor meets with the student to discuss the educational plan each term and then releases the advising hold so the student can register.

Military Leave

A student who is called to active duty, or a student with a dependent child whose spouse is called to active duty, during a term has the following options:

  1. Withdraw from all current term courses and receive a full refund of tuition and fees. If the student received federal financial aid, the Office of Financial Aid will calculate the amount of earned and unearned federal aid according to the standard federal Return of Title IV Funds as published in the academic catalog and the financial aid handbook.  Tuition Assistance refunds will be issued to the Department of Defense rather than the student.
  2. Make arrangements with individual faculty members for final course grades, or for incompletes that shall be completed upon release from active duty.  If such arrangements are made, the student's registration will remain intact and tuition and fees will be assessed in full.
  3. Make arrangements with only some of faculty for final grades or incompletes that shall be completed upon release from active duty.  If such an arrangement is made, the registration for those courses shall remain intact and tuition and fees will be assessed for those courses.  Any courses for which arrangements cannot be made for grades or incompletes will be considered dropped and the tuition and mandatory fees for those courses will be refunded.

Readmission from Active Service

Coe College complies with Readmission Requirements for Service Members as outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) Section 487.  The HEOA provides that a prompt readmission of a previously enrolled or admitted student may not be denied to a service member of the uniformed services for reasons relating to that service.  This applies to active duty in the Armed Forces; whether voluntary or involuntary, including service under federal authority as a member of the National Guard or Reserve, for a period of more than 30 days.

A qualifying service member will be readmitted:

  • To the same program, unless the service member requests or agrees to admission to another program;
  • At the same enrollment status (for example, full-time), unless the service member requests or agrees to a different enrollment status;
  • With the same number of course credits completed, unless the service member is admitted to a different program and the credits are not transferable;
  • With same academic standing (for example, satisfactory academic progress status);
  • For the first academic year, with the same tuition and fee charges as when the servicemember left, unless military benefits will pay the increase, but never more than the college is charging other students.

Questions and Answers

How long am I eligible for benefits?

Generally, you may receive up to 36 months of entitlement through the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  You are eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days.

What is the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

An education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.  Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009.  For information on eligibility and benefits, please refer to this website:

What is the Yellow Ribbon program and how will it pay for my education?

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.  The program is designed to supplement the Post-9/11 tuition benefit.  Under the Yellow Ribbon program, Coe College entered into an agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs to jointly pay the portion of an eligible veteran's net tuition and fees that exceed the maximum amount otherwise provided by the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  Veterans are encouraged to visit the VA's Yellow Ribbon webpage to review eligibility requirements.

What is Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill allows uniformed service members (officer or enlisted, active duty or Selected Reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children).  The service member must have at least six years of services and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child.  The Department of Defense (DoD) and the military services determine whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family members.

Please note: Parents and students need to apply for benefits on or no benefits will be paid to the approved student.

How do I receive payments of my VA benefits?

The VA makes payment directly to the veteran by (1) direct deposit or (2) mailing a check to the mailing address on file at the VA.  To establish or change your direct deposit information, click on the Direct Deposit Enrollment Form link after you have logged into Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE).  Changes and enrollments are usually processed the next business day.

  • Under Montgomery GI Bill (Ch. 30 and 1606) and REAP: If you attend school, you must verify your enrollment each month by using the WAVE or IVR system or calling the toll free 1-877-823-2378.  Remember that you cannot be paid for a month until the month is over and you verify that you were still in attendance for that month.
  • Under Post-9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33 and Yellow Ribbon): The VA will send the tuition and fees directly to Coe College.  The VA will send a book stipend (if applicable) directly to you near the beginning of the term (or once your enrollment is processed).  The VA will send the housing allowance (if applicable) directly to you at the end of each month.

How long does it take to receive a payment?

Initial payments may take as long as 10 to 12 weeks to activate.  Students filing under Chapters 30, 35, 1606, and 1607 will be given retroactive pay from the start of the semester, and continue to receive monthly installments thereafter.  Chapter 33 Veterans should receive their housing allowance payment approximately four to six weeks after courses begin, provided all paperwork was completed prior to the start of the semester.

How do I receive payment of my Federal Tuition Assistance?

The Department of Defense will send tuition payments directly to Coe College.  Active duty soldiers using tuition assistance can bring their forms to the Business Office in Lower Voorhees Hall.  Anyone using tuition assistance must notify Coe's VA Certifying Official, Jodie Chadima,

Section 103 Compliance Policy

Coe College abides by Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018.  Our educational policy ensures that no penalty will be imposed including: 1) the assessment of late fees; 2) the denial of access to classes; 3) libraries or other institutional facilities and/or 4) the requirements that a Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 recipient borrow additional funds to cover the individual's inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to a delayed disbursement of payment by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.  


Community/Corridor Resources: Education Resources

Coe College Resources

  • Office of the Registrar    319.399.8528  Jodie Chadima -
    • Certifies courses the veteran student is enrolled in at Coe College and assigned academic advisors
  • Office of Admission   319.399.8500   Admission Counselor
    • Help with the process of applying to Coe College, preliminary evaluation of transfer credits, information about Coe and academic programs
  • Office of Financial Aid   319.399.8540  Barb Hoffman - or                                                                                     Renae Armentrout -
    • Financial aid application process, FAFSA filing, Yellow Ribbon Program, GI Bill and other financial assistance programs available to Veterans
  • Business Office    319.399.8525   Carrie Hook -
    • Financial fees and payments, releases financial holds for nonpayment of bills, Military Tuition Assistance Invoicing
  • C3: Creativity, Careers, Community     319.399.8581  Nanci Young -
    • Students explore career options associated with all areas of study with internships, experiential learning opportunities, partnerships within the community and visits from entrepreneurs and innovators.
  • Health Services and Mental Health Counseling   319.399.8843  Emily Barnard -
    • Services provided to educate and empower students about their physical, emotional, intellectual, social, environmental and spirtitual self.
  • Learning Commons   319.399.8845   Marc Falk -
    • Provide academic support, tutoring and study skill resources
  • Office of Accessibility   319.399.8534   Laura Hayes -
    • Provide services, resources and programs to facilitate equal learning opportunities for students with disabilities.

Postsecondary Education Complaint System

The Department of Defense launched the Postsecondary Education Complaint System which provides a centralized online reporting system for service members and their families to use in reporting problems with education institutions.  Agency partners including the Department of Veterans Affairs and Education are also launching online feedback tools providing a centralized system for veterans, service members and eligible family members to file student complaints.

Veterans and their families who run into problems getting access to education benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the DoD Military Tuition Assistance Program can submit a complaint.  The agencies will work with the school on the veteran's behalf to find a resolution.  Whether the problem is related to funding, treatment, or practices the centralized system is designed for veterans and their beneficiaries to report bad experiences.