A Coe education will uniquely prepare you for your future.
Kohawks develop meaningful relationships, make connections and have access to incredible opportunities - surpassing the expectations of a typical undergraduate experience. In fact, 100% of students are guaranteed an internship, research or off-campus study before graduation. Early access to these opportunities allows you to reaffirm your educational interests or discover other academic passions while staying on a four-year path to graduation.
Success After Graduation
- For more than a decade, nearly 100% of reporting graduates have been employed, in graduate school or engaging in service within nine months of graduation.
- Coe is one of the top Fulbright producing colleges in the country, with nearly 30 students being awarded a Fulbright over the past decade.
In addition to the standard Cost of Attendance, international students have the following charges added to their Coe bill and I20s:
International Student Orientation: $100
International students are required to enroll in Lewermark health insurance for the academic year: $1,000 (estimated cost).*
*Please note: International student athletes must enroll in another insurance plan based on consultation with the Athletics department.
In addition, international students have the following non-direct costs that are added to their I20 for the purpose of estimating other expenses students may incur for coursework and during breaks. These costs are not added to their Coe bill:
Personal expenses: $1,600
Meal supplemental: $300
Housing average: $400
Coe College values a diverse international population and offers financial assistance to qualified students in the form of renewable scholarships, grants and on-campus work-study. Our funds are not limitless and generally students should expect to pay for a portion of their college expenses (at least one half or more).
- International Scholarships: Merit-based scholarships are awarded based on academic performance in high school and exams such as the SAT. All awarded scholarships are renewable each year for three years. Scholarships range up to $36,000 per academic year.
- Global Leadership Scholarship (Full-Tuition): Coe College provides one full-tuition scholarship each year to a non-U.S. citizen attending high school outside of the U.S. This scholarship is in the amount of tuition the year the student enters Coe and is renewable for three additional years at that amount, plus a yearly increase of $1,000. To be eligible, students must be a first-time college student, reside on campus and complete the application for admission process and the separate full-tuition scholarship application. Application deadline is February 1, 2024.
- Visual and Performing Arts Scholarship: Art, Music, Film Studies and Theatre Arts: If you have a passion for the arts you may audition for additional scholarships in one of these areas: art, music, film studies or theatre arts. A separate scholarship interview or portfolio review is required for these awards. Students must be admitted to Coe before being considered. Scholarships are awarded for students who intend to major or participate in one of these academic areas and valued up to $4,000 per year.
To be considered for financial assistance, students must complete the application for admission process including an International Student Financial Statement. Additional financial documents may be required and could include:
- Bank statement on official bank letterhead indicating sufficient funds to cover the cost of attendance. The bank statement should be stamped or signed by a bank official.
- Affidavit of support submitted by a sponsor and accompanied by an official bank statement verifying the availability of funds for overseas educational support.
- Scholarship letter from a sponsoring organization indicating dates, monetary amounts and terms of sponsorship.
Please provide all supporting financial documentation in English.
Need-based grants are awarded based on a student’s financial need. Coe cannot guarantee to meet the need of any student. However, need-based grants have helped many international students afford a Coe education. Awards amounts vary based on demonstrated need.
Coe College Work-Study
Work-study awards are a great way to help fund your Coe education while also gaining valuable work experience on Coe’s campus. These small awards amount to $1,800 per year for 8 hours of work per week. You have the option to save this money or apply it to your tuition fees.
Other Awards and Scholarships
- Sibling and Legacy Awards: Awards valued at $500 and $1,000, respectively. Siblings of current Coe students or siblings of Coe graduates are eligible to receive $500 annually. Students with parents or grandparents who are Coe alumni are eligible to receive $1,000 annually.
- Iowa Sister States Scholarship: This scholarship is intended for international students originating and studying in any of Iowa Sister States locations. The Iowa Sister States Scholarship is an annual scholarship in the amount of $16,000 USD per year and is renewable for up to three (3) years after the initial year.
- To be eligible, a student must:
- Meet all international student admission requirements.
- Provide proof of current resident status (including citizenship) from an Iowa Sister State.
- Enroll as a full-time degree-seeking residential student at Coe College.
- Iowa Sister State Locations: Cherkasy Oblast, Ukraine; Hebei Province, China; Kosovo; Stavropol Krai, Russia; Taiwan; Terenggan, Malaysia; Veneto Region, Italy; Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; and Yucatán, Mexico.
- To be eligible, a student must:
- Anne Doyle International Student Award: Through Coe's membership in the StudyIowa consortium, new students enrolling at Coe are eligible to apply for the Anne Doyle International Student Award. This $1,000 award is a travel grant meant to help international students with their travel expenses. The recipient is chosen based on the student's academic record, essays, and recommendation letters. Instructions on how to apply for this scholarship can be found at StudyIowa. This is a one-time award and cannot be renewed.