The aim of the major in communication studies is to provide a background of theory and practice in oral and mediated communication.
In their study of formal and informal oral, print and digital environments, students will learn to communicate ethically, responsibly and effectively for diverse audiences in multiple contexts.
Sample Four-Year Plan
The following represents one of many paths students can take to complete a major in communication studies. A major in communication studies requires a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in all courses counted toward the major.
Note that students typically take four courses per semester for a total of eight each year. Check the Coe catalog to review all of your options.
- COM-125 Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- COM-151 Introduction to New Media Studies
- COM-161 Visual Rhetoric
- RHE-200 Rhetorical Theory & Practice
- COM-236 Intercultural Communication
- COM-241 Introduction to Multimedia Journalism
- COM-381 Research Methods in Communication Studies
- RHE-225 Journalism and Media Writing Workshop
- COM-465/-467 Special Topics in Public Discourse
- COM-361 Communication & Social Change