Class of 2023 Checklist
Pre-Graduation Checklist for the Class of 2023
Here are the steps graduating seniors must take prior to graduation. Steps indicated with an asterisk (*) will be listed on your personalized pre-graduation checklist on My Coe and marked with a date once completed. Please note: Your pre-graduation checklist on My Coe will not be visible until you submit your graduation application.
- SUBMIT YOUR GRADUATION APPLICATION:* The application is found in your My Coe account at the following path, My Coe (my.coe.edu) > Student tab > Registrar’s Office > Graduation Information. Graduation applications must be received by March 17, 2023, or you may not be eligible to walk and the conferral of your degree may be delayed by a term.
- CHECK ON YOUR DEGREE AUDIT: Verify with your advisor and department chair that your degree audit is complete. You also can check in with the Office of the Registrar
(firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions. Please do not wait until the last minute as response times may vary due to the volume of requests.
- GRADE CHANGE REQUESTS: If you choose to nullify a P/NP grade, it must be done before close of business on the last day of finals. Please contact the Office of the Registrar
(email@example.com) if you have any questions.
- ORDERING A TRANSCRIPT: If you wish to have an academic transcript sent after graduation, you may order one by going to getmytranscript.org. Please be sure to mark “after grades are posted” or “after degree is awarded.”
- COMPLETE LOAN EXIT COUNSELING:* The exit counseling is different for each loan type and will provide information about the rights and responsibilities associated with each loan.
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan: The Office of Student Financial Services will send you an email on how to complete the exit counseling for your Federal Direct Stafford Loan.
- Canfield Loan, Smith Loan, McElroy Loan, Crimson and Gold Loan and/or Federal Perkins Loan: ECSI will send you an email with instructions on how to complete exit counseling for your Federal Perkins Loan, Canfield Loan, Smith Loan and/or McElroy Loan. If you have additional questions, contact the Office of Student Financial Services at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 319.399.8540.
- COMPLETE THE SENIOR FIRST DESTINATION SURVEY:* Starting March 29, go to your Handshake profile and click on Career Center and the First Destination link to complete your senior survey. You also will receive emails with a direct link. All surveys must be completed by April 30.
- PAY YOUR STUDENT ACCOUNT BALANCE:* Verify that your Coe student account balance is paid in full by contacting the Office of Student Financial Services. In order to participate in graduation ceremonies, your student account must be paid in full in the Office of Student Financial Services by April 28.
- UPDATE YOUR MAILING ADDRESS ON MY COE: Please update your mailing address on My Coe to a non-Coe email address. This address will be used by the mailroom to forward any first-class mail that is received after graduation. (Log into My Coe and click the person icon in the top right corner > My profile & settings > Contact information > Addresses > Current address).
- ORDER YOUR CAP AND GOWN: Order your cap and gown online at colleges.herffjones.com/college/coecollege/. The cap, gown and tassel package is $40 for a bachelor’s degree. Payment is not needed to place your order. The last day to order is March 24, 2023. Items will be available for payment and pick up May 1-5. You must complete your pre-graduation checklist on My Coe in order to pick up your cap and gown.
Class of 2023 Senior Calendar
NOW | As soon as possible
- Apply for graduation ASAP if you haven’t already done so | My Coe (my.coe.edu) >> Student tab >> Registrar’s Office > Graduation Information | Students who have not applied for graduation by March 17, 2023, will not be eligible to walk.
NOW-MARCH 24 | As soon as possible
- Order your cap and gown online at herff.ly/coecollege. Payment is not needed to place your order. This will ensure that you have the correct size gown and tassel color on graduation day. A payment of $40 will be collected when you pick up your cap and gown. Additional tassels may be ordered for double majors by emailing The Kohawk Shop directly (however only one tassel is worn during the ceremony).
- Order graduation announcements and diploma frames through Herff-Jones online at herff.ly/coecollege.
NOW - MAY 15 | Anytime
- Confirm your current address to have your diploma mailed | Update your current address on My Coe (my.coe.edu) under the icon in the top right of your screen >> My profile & settings >> contact information by May 15, so we can mail your diploma. Diplomas take roughly 6 to 8 weeks to process and arrive at the indicated address. Financial obligations must be settled prior to leaving campus to avoid a delay in processing.
MARCH 9 - APRIL 15 | 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
- Confirm pronunciation of your name | Registrar’s Office | Email a recording of your name pronunciation to email@example.com and confirm spelling for your diploma.
- Complete required loan exit counseling | See the Pre-Graduation Checklist or contact the Office of Student Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MARCH 29-APRIL 30 | Anytime
- Complete the Senior First Destination Survey | Your Handshake Profile | Click on Career Center and the First Destination link to complete your senior survey by April 30. This is required before you can pay for and pick up your cap and gown. You also will receive emails with a direct link to the survey, so watch for these.
APRIL 28 | By Midnight
- Pay any outstanding account balances | CASHNet via My Coe (my.coe.edu) | Your billing account balance is due April 28.
APRIL 26-30 | 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Pick up honors cords | Registrar’s Office, Voorhees
- Pick up club cords and stoles | Check with your club coordinator
APRIL 28 - MAY 6 | Anytime
- Check your email for issues that may hinder your graduation. | Contact the Registrar’s Office (email@example.com) with questions.
- Pick up and pay for your cap, gown and tassel package ($40) at The Kohawk Shop in Lower Gage Monday-Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Your personalized pre-graduation checklist on my.coe.edu must be completed to pick up your order.
MAY 4 | 6:00 PM
- Senior Celebration | Eastbank Venue & Lounge
MAY 5 | 2:30 PM | Commencement rehearsal | Stewart Memorial Library quad
- In case of rain, rehearsal will be in Kohawk Arena. Rehearsal lasts 45 minutes. Attendance is required.
- 11:00 AM | Baccalaureate^ | Sinclair Auditorium | Baccalaureate service of word and song will take place. Family and friends are invited. This is not a mandatory event but a once-in-a-lifetime occasion.
- 1:00 PM | Nurses’ Pinning Ceremony | Dows Theatre
- 1:30 PM | Phi Beta Kappa Initiation | Perrine Gallery, Stewart Memorial Library | By invitation only
- 2:30 PM | Honors Convocation*^ | Sinclair Auditorium | Academic awards and prizes will be announced, showcasing student accomplishments for parents and friends.
- 4:00 PM | Presidential Reception | Sinclair Lobby | All graduating seniors and their families are invited.
- 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM | Breakfast | The U in Gage Memorial Union (Graduates free, guests $5) (Learn more!)
- 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM | Kohawk Family Graduation Celebration | Phifer Commons in Gage Memorial Union (Learn more!)
- 8:00 AM-2:00 PM | The Kohawk Shop | Open in Lower Gage
- 9:00 AM | Processional forms & Bell Ringing begins | North quad between the P.U.B. and Eby Fieldhouse | All graduates should line up at 9:00 AM.
- 9:30 AM | Pre-Commencement Concert | Stewart Memorial Library quad | Features the Coe Concert Band
- 10:00 AM | Commencement*^ | Stewart Memorial Library quad | About 2,500 seats will be available on chairs and bleachers. Family members may also bring blankets or lawn chairs to use if they desire. Umbrellas and windbreakers are strongly recommended in case of rain or cool conditions. In case of severe weather, Commencement will be held in Kohawk Arena. This event will be live streamed at www.coe.edu.
MAY 9 | Anytime
- Check to see that your grades are posted correctly | My Coe (my.coe.edu)
*ASL interpreter will be present.
All events are handicap accessible.
^Events will be livestreamed.