Coe College invites applications from dynamic, student-centered individuals for a full-time tenure-track position of Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemistry to begin fall of 2019.
Coe faculty engage in teaching, research, and service. Primary responsibilities of this position include: teaching biochemistry, general chemistry, and related courses; designing and teaching upper-level courses; supervising undergraduate research students; and contributing to general education. The normal course load is six course equivalents (four courses per year with associated laboratories), divided among two semesters. Faculty may optionally develop special topics courses to be taught during May Term.
- ABD status for Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, or related field (degree should be awarded by Sep 1, 2019); Ph.D preferred.
- Demonstrated teaching effectiveness in the classroom
- Active research agenda that involves undergraduate students
- Commitment to undergraduate advising and mentoring
The Department of Chemistry at Coe College holds ACS certification and serves students interested in STEM areas and related fields such as environmental science and nursing. The department has research-grade instrumentation available for use by students and faculty, access to journals from the ACS and other professional societies, and a recently-renovated science building that provides excellent facilities for teaching and research laboratories. Faculty participate in a vibrant undergraduate summer research program; collaboration between faculty of related disciplines is welcome.
We are interested in applicants who will complement our commitment to students and faculty from diverse cultural groups, and who will diversify the expertise and experiences represented in the department.
Applicants should submit the following information at http://apply.interfolio.com/54154. A complete application will include:
- a cover letter outlining the qualifications of the applicant and a description of how these qualifications will fill the needs of the position;
- a current curriculum vitae and unofficial copies of graduate and undergraduate transcripts;
- a 2-4 page statement of teaching interests, goals, pedagogical ideas, and reflections on past teaching experiences if they exist;
- a 3-5 page statement of research interests with a plan that identifies how the research will involve undergraduate students;
- names and contact information for three professional references, at least one of whom can speak to the applicant’s suitability as a teacher;
- sample course syllabi for courses that have been or could be taught in support of the position description.
Review of completed applications will begin on October 15, 2018.
Coe is committed to fostering a multicultural environment and encourages applications from individuals who will help fulfill that goal. We value the input of multiple viewpoints and diverse perspectives and aim to create an academic community that is rich with cultural, social and intellectual diversity. Coe College is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about Coe College, our commitment to a multicultural educational environment, and requirements for employment click here.
Coe College, a highly selective private liberal arts college, offers superior academics and exciting co-curricular activities in a thriving urban setting that promotes student growth and success. Established in 1851, Coe has a national reputation for academic excellence enhanced by a student-centered, highly supportive campus environment. With 1,400 students, Coe's attractive campus is located in the heart of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, a vibrant metropolitan area of 267,000 residents in Iowa's Creative Corridor, providing a wide variety of cultural and recreational opportunities.