You’ve got questions. We’ve got answers!
What does Coe provide in my residence hall?
- Twin Bed (requires extra long sheets)
- Twin Mattress (39" x 80")
- Wardrobe or closet in most spaces
- Desk (not provided in all apartments)
- WiFi connections
- All utilities
- Window blinds
- Cable TV
- Vacuum cleaner
- Vending machines
- Free laundry
- Students are provided 750 pages/semester at printing labs across campus so no need to bring a printer
- In our Houses & Apartments we provide cleaning supplies & shower curtains
What can’t I have in my residence hall?
- All appliances are prohibited except:
- Coffee makers & Keurigs
- Crock pots
- Toasters (but not toaster ovens)
- Refrigerators larger than 4 cubic feet
- Animals except fish in a 20 gallon or less tank
- Weapons, stun guns, tasers, replica weapons (i.e. Nerf guns) & knives over 3”
- Hookahs & Bongs
- Drinking game paraphernalia (beer pong tables, beer funnels, etc.)
- Extension cords or power strips without a surge protector (to protect your electronics)
- Alcohol if you’re under 21
- Halogen lamps
- Water beds
- Air conditioners (all our buildings are air-conditioned)
- Private exterior antennas or dishes (all our buildings come with cable)
- Routers (Coe provides wireless access and these will interfere with our system)
- Laboratory chemicals
- Natural Christmas trees
- Candles and/or candle warmers/incense
- Gas or charcoal grills (many of our buildings have outdoor grills)
- Loft kits not provided through College Products
Are the residence halls co-educational?
All our residence halls are co-ed except Voorhees and Greene
Can I get my bedding/sheets from Coe?
Coe provides bedding/sheets to students for a fee (look for a mailing over the summer). Students are not required to get them from Coe, so if you get them from somewhere else, our mattresses require extra-long, twin-size bedding.
Does my residence hall have air conditioning?
All residence halls and rooms are air conditioned.
What are the dimensions of the dorm rooms?
On our website are dimensions of the various types of rooms in each dorm. Keep in mind if you'll share a room you will all be bringing items into the room, so plan accordingly.
Is there summer storage on campus?
Yes, but it is on a first-come basis and very limited. Any items stored must be in a sealed box, clearly marked with the resident's name and fall address. Boxes must be of reasonable size (oversized boxes will not be allowed). Refrigerators, televisions and microwaves may be stored without boxes. All storage items must comply with fire regulations.
How do I do laundry on campus? Do I need my own soap?
Coe provides free laundry for our residents! Each residence hall provides washers and dryers for your convenience, but students must supply their own high-efficiency liquid soap.
What size of refrigerator can I bring?
Each refrigerator can be no larger than 4 cubic feet in capacity. Keep in mind you'll need to carry your refrigerator into your room.
Does each residence hall have carpet?
Carpet is only provided in some Voorhees Hall rooms and in all quads in Armstrong/Douglas. If you wish to bring carpet, a 12’ x 14’ carpet fits most rooms.
Can I move in to my residence hall early?
All early move-ins MUST be cleared by Residence Life in advance. You may reach the Residence Life Office at 319.399.8741 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I build a loft for my room?
Lofts are not permitted unless rented through College Products.
How do I have repairs made in my room or apartment?
Residents can submit a work order anytime at this link: Work Order. If the repair is not made in a timely manner please let Residence Life know.
Can I move move the college furniture out of my room?
Coe College furniture cannot be removed from your dorm room or apartment. Students are charged for any missing furniture at the end of their time on campus.
What is an RA?
Each floor of a dorm, or section, has a Resident Assistant. These are returing students who have been highly trained on how to help thier residents live on campus. They are your "go to" people when you have questions about policies and services Coe offers. They're also good people to get to know to help you vavigate Coe.
How can I access my dorm room?
All Coe students will have an ID that will also give you access to your dorm. For this Fall you'll only have access to the dorm you are actually living in so that we can all practice social distancing. You'll also get a key to your room when you check in. You'll turn in your key when you check out at the end of the year. Please don't lose this key as there is a $100 Key Replacement Charge.
Can I bring a pet to campus?
Coe allows students to bring Emotional Support Animals to campus, provided they're approved by Accessability Services & Res Life, ahead of time. To start the process email Dr. Ron Binder (email@example.com). Residents who bring animals to campus that are not approved are fined $100
When can I change my Meal Plan?
Residents can change their Meal Plan only during the first week of classes each semester. Look for an email during that time with how to do this.
When will I know my roommate(s) and where we are living?
- Students who submit their New Student Housing Application by April 2 will receive their roommate and housing information by April 16.
- Students who submit their New Student Housing Application by June 4 will receive their roommate and housing information by June 18.
- Students who deposit or submit their application after June 4 will receive their assignment after June 18.
How do I complete the New Student Housing Application?
- Please check your Coe email address. You will have a welcome email with a link to Residence by Symplicity.
- You will be prompted to create a password when you click on that link. Make sure you keep that password because when you log in again, you will use it and your Coe email address as your user name.
- It will take you to your account, but to get to your application, you will have to click on HOME. Then click on your New Student Housing Application to start. You're able to save your progress if you don't want to submit it all at once.
- If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to Dr. Ron Binder, Associate Dean of Students at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How are roommates paired?
The Office of Residence Life will pair roommates based on the roommate preference on your Housing application. Please be as detailed and honest as possible so we can make a good pairing.
If I have a medical accommodation who do I work with on that?
Students who have a medical accommodation should initially contact Dr. Ron Binder (email@example.com) to begin the process of being approved for an accommodation.