New Studetn Orientation - large group of students gathered in front of library

Living on campus - FAQ

You’ve got questions. We’ve got answers!

If you don’t see the answer to your question about roommates and housing here, contact the Office of Residence Life at 319.399.8741 or

Do I have to get the Coe bedding/sheets?

Students are not required to get Coe bedding and sheets; it is completely up to them as to what bedding they would like. Keep in mind Coe’s mattresses require extra-long twin-size bedding.

What size is the bed?

Your mattress will be an extra-long twin (39” x 80”).

Does my residence hall have air conditioning?

All residence halls and rooms have air conditioning.

What should I bring with me to my residence hall?

Some of the suggested items to have in your room: microwave, personal items, computer and ethernet network cord, calculator, shower caddy and shower shoes, linens and towels, alarm clock, picture frames, dry erase board, stackable crates, refrigerator, TV, DVD/Blu-ray player and a futon/couch. You may want to share some of these items with your roommate, so it is best to coordinate who is bringing which items.

What can’t I have in my residence hall?

Halogen lamps, extension cords (surge protectors ARE permitted), private exterior antennas or satellite dishes, hot plates or other cooking devices with exposed heating elements, candles, candle burners or incense; with the exception of fish, pets are not permitted.

Is there summer storage on campus?

Yes. However, it is on a first-come basis and very limited. Any items stored must be in a sealed box, clearly marked with the resident's name and fall address. Boxes must be of reasonable size (oversized boxes will not be allowed). Refrigerators, televisions and microwaves may be stored without boxes. All storage items must comply with fire regulations.

How do I do laundry on campus? Do I need my own soap?

Each residence hall provides washers and dryers for your convenience. Students are required to supply their own high-efficiency liquid soap. There is a fee of $30 per semester for laundry. A student cannot opt out of this fee if he or she is living on campus.

What furniture is provided for each residence hall?

All rooms have a bed, desk, desk chair, dresser and closet or wardrobe for each student.

What size of refrigerator can I bring?

Each refrigerator can be no larger than 4 cubic feet in capacity.

Does each residence hall have carpet?

Carpet is only provided in some Voorhees Hall rooms and in all quads in Armstrong/Douglas. If you wish to bring carpet, a 12’ x 14’ carpet fits most rooms.

Can I move in to my residence hall early?

All early move-ins MUST be cleared by Residence Life in advance. You may reach the Residence Life Office at 319.399.8741 or

Can I build a loft for my room?

Lofts are not permitted unless rented through College Products

When will I know my roommate(s) and where we are living?

  • Students who submit their New Student Housing Application by April 2 will receive their roommate and housing information by April 16.
  • Students who submit their New Student Housing Application by June 4 will receive their roommate and housing information by June 18.
  • Students who deposit or submit their application after June 4 will receive their assignment after June 18.

How do I complete the New Student Housing Application?

  • Please check your Coe email address. You will have a welcome email with a link to Residence by Symplicity.
  • You will be prompted to create a password when you click on that link. Make sure you keep that password because when you log in again, you will use it and your Coe email address as your user name.
  • It will take you to your account, but to get to your application, you will have to click on HOME. Then click on your New Student Housing Application to start. You're able to save your progress if you don't want to submit it all at once.
  • If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to Director of Residence Life Dan Juhl at

How are roommates paired?

The Office of Residence Life will pair roommates based on the roommate preference form that every student is required to fill out. We encourage you to be as detailed and honest as possible while filling out the form.

Can I switch roommates or dorms if it does not work out?

Yes. However, there is a two-week room freeze at the beginning of the fall semester where no one can switch roommates or move. After this two-week freeze, you would need to contact your Residence Assistant who will connect you with your Area Coordinator. The Area Coordinator will help with the process of switching dorms or roommates.

I have dietary or health issues and might need a single room; how do I request this?

Residence Life will work with students who may need medical housing accommodations. The form is available to download from the Housing Preference portion of The student also may contact Residence Life at 319.399.8741 or to request a copy of the Medical Accommodations Housing Form.