Meet the Senate, who exists to communicate the needs and wants of our students.
Photo by Devon Foster
About the Student Senate
Each year, 30 students from across campus are elected as Senators to help bridge the gap between faculty, staff, and students. Our job is to allocate funding to clubs and organizations, address living environment concerns, and overall, work to mold Coe College and its students' dreams.
Some of our favorite Senate ideas implemented on campus are:
- LoCoe - an annual fall event that brings Cedar Rapids life to Coe with local food trucks and musical artists.
- Senate Seats - events ranging from local live concerts to theatre productions in large quantities of tickets handed straight to Coe students for amazing discounts, or even for free.
- Feminine Hygiene Project - to help anyone ever caught by surprise, Senate stocks all of the bathrooms in academic buildings with free tampons and pads.
- Dropboxes - installed in centralized locations around campus, Dropboxes allow easy access to providing Senate with living environment concerns and feedback.
Student Senate is fully funded by the $137.50 Student Activies fee that every full-time student pays in their tuition each semester. Biannually, we allocate upwards of $180,000 to support clubs and the improvement of student life.
Meet the Executive Board
The Executive Board of the Student Senate helps to facilitate subcommittees and maintain order in meetings. At the beginning of each calendar year, student pairs are given the opportunity to run for the elected seats of the Student Body President and Vice President. The new leaders appoint the rest of their board with the approval of the Senate. The full Executive Board for the 2019 year is as follows:
- Student Body President - Constance Schlitter
- Vice President - Riley Fonck
- Chairperson - Thomas Brokaw IV
- Recording Secretary - Madeline Fink
- Treasurer - Dana Dela Fuente
- Communications Officer - Kayden Dangremond
The Schlitter & Fonck 2019 Platform
- Lighted crosswalk signs and One-Way/Do Not Enter signage on College Drive
- Increase and maintain emergency phones
- Increased lighting across campus
- Continuation of the free feminine hygiene products
- Host 2nd Annual 'LoCoe' event in Fall 2019
- Continuation and expansion of Senate feedback dropboxes
- Increased recycling receptacles across campus
- Limiting plastic waste in dining services
- Updating and adding automatic hand dryers in bathrooms
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Increased cultural diversity in dining options
- Continuation of diversity education after the first year
- Promoting support of people of color in local cultural events
- Increased awareness of opportunities to voice your opinion
- More communication between Senate and students
- Bridge the gap between students faculty/staff
- Living Environment
- Updating furniture in residence hall living spaces
- Increased student artwork across campus
- Increased landscaping and greenery for all seasons
For any questions involving Student Senate or your Coe experience, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the beginning of each academic year, a petition will be sent out to the full student body and students who want to join must obtain a predetermined number of signatures from their residence community. Once that is completed, a school wide poll will be emailed out and qualified candidates are elected in by members of that community.
All meetings are open to members of the Coe community. Anyone can address their concerns during the Open Forum section of Senate meetings. Meetings are held every Wednesday at 7:00 pm in Cherry Auditorium, and copies of our minutes are available on our Moodle page!