Coe College operates the Wilderness Field Station, a truly unique Wilderness "classroom," run for 40 years by the Associated Colleges of the Midwest, north of Ely in far northern Minnesota.
Upon completion the student will receive one course credit per course (or four semester hour credits). The course credit will count toward distribution requirements, majors and graduation, the same as if they were taken on campus at Coe.
Students at all colleges are eligible to apply.
Maximum class size is eight so enroll early!
Application Materials and Procedures
Additional Required Forms
Link to Online Advisor Recommendation
Link to Dean of Students Online Signature Form
- Fill out the online application above
- Have your academic advisor complete their form online
- Download the "required signatures" form and have it completed
- Get an unofficial transcript from your Registrar
- Submit the "required signatures" form and the transcript, with your name and school, to:
Wilderness Field Station
Attn: Beth Valenta
1220 1st Avenue N.E.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52402
Credit is received through Coe College's summer school and must be transferred to your home school if other than Coe. Check with your registrar for more details. Classes transfer as four semester hour credits or one course credit. Most schools require you to request a transcript from the Coe College registrar after completion and submit it to their registrar. To do order an official transcript from Coe, after your course is complete, go here. If your institution will accept an unofficial transcript, one can be downloaded from my.coe.edu.
Costs per session
- $3,650 (Covers tuition, room and board, 2018 costs)
- Transportation costs to and from the station are the responsibility of the student.
- (Further info will be forwarded after acceptance).
- R.V. Drexler scholarships are available to Coe College students
- William J. Muir scholarships are available to Carleton College students. Scholarships are administered by the Carleton Biology Dept. Contact Prof. Stephan Zweifel (email@example.com)
Three weeks after acceptance into the program, a $350 non-refundable deposit will be due. This deposit guarantees a place in the course and is applied directly to the total cost.