Accommodation Process

Accommodation Process

The Accessibility Services Coordinator makes a determination of reasonable accommodations in consultation with the student through an interactive process. What may be useful in this process is 1) student experience, 2) medical documentation, 3) educational history (such as 504 plans or IEPs).
  1. Submit documentation from a licensed provider and a previous institution
  2. Meet with Accessibility Services Coordinator to discuss reasonable accommodations and implementation of accommodations at Coe College
  3. Request “accommodation letters” to be sent to faculty and signed by faculty and student at the beginning of each term 


Documentation contributes to the Coordinator’s knowledge of the student’s disability as it relates to their experience at Coe. Documentation allows for a medical professional to explain how a diagnosed disability limits major life functions and provide suggestions for accommodations that may help the coordinator determine what steps are needed to ensure educational access. Please read further for guidelines around documentation.

Academic Accommodations

Academic accommodations support students in and out of the classroom. Academic accommodations follow the process above and are determined through the interactive process. If you think you may be in need of academic accommodations, please schedule an appointment with the Accessibility Services Coordinator to discuss your experience and what accommodations you are seeking. 


Coe is a four-year residential campus and encourages all students with documented disabilities to apply for appropriate housing. Coe’s accommodated housing selection process begins in January. Students will be notified by email about the process before leaving for winter break. The deadline for the accommodated housing process is crucial in order for the Accessibility Services Coordinator to review applications and for Housing to place approved applicants before the general housing process begins. To learn more about the housing process, please read the full process here.

Off-Campus Requests

As a four-year residential campus, Coe offers a variety of housing options, including dorms, apartments, and houses that can meet students’ needs. Generally, apartments and houses are reserved for students in their fourth year. First, second, and third year students are accommodated in residences that they would reasonably be able to select into based on their cumulative credits. Applications for off campus housing based on documented disability will go through our accommodated housing process. Students with requests that can be met with on-campus living arrangements will be offered an on-campus space that meets their needs.

Dining Accommodations

Coe College Dining makes every effort to accommodate dietary needs and offers buffet-style dining as well as pickup. Additionally, Dining Services uses the Byte app to display all ingredient information. If a student requires an amended dining plan, they are encouraged to meet with Dining Services to explain their dietary restrictions and discuss meal options. Dining Services will work with the student and Accessibility Services to meet the request. 

Emotional Support Animals

Emotional Support Animals are a category of assistance animal that provide necessary emotional support to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability that alleviates one or more identified symptoms of an individual’s disability, but which are not considered Service Animals under the ADAAA and Coe’s Service Animal Policy. 

The question in determining if an ESA will be allowed in college housing is whether or not the ESA is necessary because of the individual’s disability to afford the individual an equal opportunity to use and enjoy college housing and its presence in college housing is reasonable. However, even if the individual with a disability establishes necessity for an ESA and it is allowed in college housing, an ESA is not permitted in other areas of the college (e.g. dining facilities, libraries, academic buildings, athletic buildings and facilities, classrooms, labs, student union, etc.). ESAs are not pets. 

Executive Function Coaches

All students are able to request to work with an executive function coach (EFC). EFCs are students trained in teaching and learning strategies who work 1-1 with students. Though under our larger Peer Education Leader (PEL) umbrella that includes tutors and supplemental instruction leaders, EFCs are not content specialists. EFCs can work with students on academic and professional skills across curriculum, such as time management, task initiation, high school to college transitions, organization, communication with faculty, and other skills vital to educational and professional success. To request to work with an EFC, email

Appeal Process

Level 1: Further Review
The student provides further information to Accessibility Services as outlined by the email declining the accommodation. Student schedules meeting with Accessibility Services within seven days to discuss the need for the accommodation and provide additional information. The accommodation request will be re-evaluated at that time. If a student declines the outcome after further review, it will move to an appeal.

Level 2: Appeal
The student may submit a written appeal to the appropriate campus personnel. Appeals for housing, meal plans and emotional support animals will go to The Dean of Students, Keniese Evans.  Academic appeals will go to The Associate Dean for Student Academics, Susan Wolverton (In Spring 2023 academic requests will go to Associate Dean for Faculty Development, Dr. Marc Falk.)

You can find the Appeal Request Form here.

Level 3: Complaint
If the student does not accept the outcome of the appeal, the student may make a written complaint to The Interim Provost, Dr. Angela Ziskowski. The Provost will review the initial decision, the decision after further review and the appeal to make a final determination. After this stage the student may make a formal OCR complaint, if necessary.