Stuart Hall was built as the college's Carneige Hall of Science in 1910. It was originally designed by New York architect Edward L. Tilton, who was famous for his award-winning design of the Immigrant Station on Ellis Island. The first major renovation of the facility took place in the 1970s, and the building was renamed Stuart Hall in 1977. Planning for the latest rejuvenation of Stuart Hall began in 2004, necessitated by enrollment increases and higher student retention that strained available classroom and faculty office space.
Completed for the start of classes in the fall of 2006, the $2.9 million renovation project created nearly 36,000 square feet of new and remodeled classroom space and faculty offices. This effectively doubled the academic space in Stuart Hall and resulted in a 25 percent increase in the area dedicated to instruction at Coe. While the exterior of the building remains largely unchanged, the interior is comparable to a brand-new facility, including new mechanical systems. The renovation includes a traditional interior look combined with the latest technology and amenities to create an inviting and highly functional academic environment that will serve generations of Coe students for decades to come.
Departments housed in Stuart Hall include psychology, business administration and economics, mathematical sciences, sociology, teacher education, and nursing.