Health Services FAQ

In regards to my health, what should I have available in my dorm room in case I get ill during the school year?
Over-the-counter medications, such as Tylenol and ibuprofen (for minor aches, pains, and fever); as well as cold remedy medications for cough, congestion, runny nose (Dayquil, Nyquil, Sudafed, Mucinex, etc). You may consider also bringing an antihistamine, such as Claritin, Zyrtec, or Allegra, especially if you suffer from seasonal allergies. Other items to have on-hand: antibiotic ointment, a THERMOMETER, heating pad, nasal saline spray, throat lozenges, bandaids, and sunscreen.

Do I need an appointment to be evaluated at the Health Services clinic? Can I receive prescriptions there?
Yes, we would prefer that you call or email in advance to schedule an appointment. The clinic is open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., with appointments available from 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. You can contact Health Services by phone at 319-399-8617 or email The nurse practitioner can prescribe medications to any pharmacy in the area, as needed. Please remember to bring a copy (front and back) of your health insurance card to keep on file at Coe Health Services - you will also need this for blood work, X-rays, or referrals to outside health clinics.

Can I get refills on my ADHD/ADD medications from the Health Services clinic?
You must provide copies of your initial medical records from the provider that diagnosed you with ADHD/ADD so that Health Services can keep those in your medical file. Then, after an initial visit w/ the nurse practitioner, refills can be given with the appropriate follow up visits.

Do I need to have a copy of my immunizations at Coe College?
Yes. All students entering Coe College are required to show proof of two MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccinations. Most individuals have had to meet this requirement for primary school, so the easiest way to locate your records is to check with your family physician's office, school system, or childhood records your parents may have. If you do not provide your Immunization record by the deadline, a "hold" will be placed on your registration for classes.