V-Day performances planned at Coe

Extra: Rod Pritchard, Director of Marketing and Public Relations
(319) 399-8605 or rpritcha@coe.edu

2009-01-30 12:57:37 - General

Eve Ensler's production, "A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant, & A Prayer" will be performed Feb. 13 - 15, on the Coe College campus in conjunction with international V-Day. The Friday and Saturday performances will begin at 8 p.m., with the Sunday performance at 2 p.m., all in Cherry Auditorium of Peterson Hall, located just off First Avenue along College Drive.

More than 30 Coe students will present the V-Day performances for the eighth consecutive year, as part of a worldwide effort to heighten awareness of and help stop violence against women and girls. A benefit silent auction will follow every performance. All proceeds from ticket sales and the auction will be donated to the local anti-violence organization Waypoint and the international V-Day spotlight on Congolese women and girls.

Tickets are $10 for the general public, $5 for students and seniors. Tickets are available at the door or by calling the Coe Box Office at 319-399-8600, Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

For the past few years, the Coe V-Day chapter has produced "The Vagina Monologues," with an all-female cast. As "A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant, & A Prayer" focuses specifically on how domestic violence impacts the lives of both women and men, the group will begin a new tradition of welcoming men to join in the production.

Coe students organize and produce these benefit performances. While 90 percent of the proceeds from this year's performance will benefit Waypoint locally, the remaining 10 percent will be donated to the international V-Day Foundation.

Each year V-Day increases awareness by focusing on a specific group of women in the world who are exhibiting courage and vision. For 2009, the International V-Day Campaign is focused on women and girls in the war-torn Democratic Republic of the Congo. In nine years, the V-Day movement has raised over $50 million around the world to support its programs.