Coe's Thursday Forum visits Syria
Lonnie Zingula, Associate Director of Marketing and Public Relations
(319) 399-8613 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2008-11-20 08:33:47 - General
Visiting Professor of English and Writer in Residence Ann Struthers leads Coe College's Thursday Forum into its winter break with a two-week review of her time in Syria as a Fulbright Fellow. From 1996-98 Struthers taught at Syria's University of Aleppo.
Discussing the subjects of her recent memoir, "In Aleppo Twice: Adventures of a Fulbright Fellow in Syria," Struthers will offer pictures and explanations of the historical, geographical and social background of Damascus, the capital; Aleppo, where she lived and taught; ancient monuments; and religious sites.
The second lecture will present excerpts from her memoir with background on Syrian higher education and family life and its healthcare system.
The lectures are held Dec. 4 and 11 in Kesler Lecture Hall in Hickok Hall on the Coe campus. Each session begins at 9:15 a.m. and lasts until about 11:30 a.m. The course is open to all adults and registration is on-site. The cost of the two-part series is $10 per week.
For more information, call (319) 399-8561.
Thursday Forum schedule:
- "Memoir of the Middle East" - Dec. 4, 11
- "Between Town Hall & Cathedral: The Rise of Siena and Florence" - Jan. 8, 15
- "The World of the Harp" - Jan. 22, 29
- "The Catalan Case: Past, Present and Future of a Nation Without a State" - Feb. 5, 12, 19, 26
- "The Photographic Truth" - March 5, 19, 26 and April 2
- "Four Musicals that Have Helped 'Save' Broadway" - April 9, 16, 23, 30