About Coe > Coe News

Coe Symphony Orchestra to feature "Concert of Soloists"

Rod Pritchard, Director of Marketing and Public Relations
(319) 399-8605 or rpritcha@coe.edu

2010-10-15 12:09:01 - General

The Coe College Symphony Orchestra, under the direction of Joseph Dangerfield, will present the semi-annual “Concert of Soloists” in conjunction with members of Orchestra Iowa on Saturday, Oct. 30, at 7 p.m. in Sinclair Auditorium. The concert is open to the public at no charge.

The concert will feature two Coe student soloists, Janet Stone and Kathrine Black, performing arias by Gounod and Beethoven, respectively.  World-renowned Viennese violinist Wolfgang Dávid will perform as part of Sarasate's “Ziguenerweisen” ("Gypsy Airs"), and Minnesota-based pianist Ann DuHamel will be featured in “Concerto for Piano and Strings” by Russian composer Alfred Schnittke.  "Night on the Bare Mountain" by Modest Mussorgsky will round out the program.

For more information contact the Coe Music Department at 399-8521.

Wolfgang David
Violinist Wolfgang David has become ensconced on the international stage, both as a recitalist, and as a guest soloist with many of the world’s leading orchestras, including a performance of Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” with The New York Virtuosi Chamber Symphony. David’s growing reputation is marked in reviews by the likes of Thomas Frost, senior executive producer at Sony Classical, who foresees for him “a significant international concert and recording career.” The Washington Post says David has “scaled the heights of music making.

David performs widely in Europe, the United States, Russia, Japan, South Korea, India, Egypt, Israel, Turkey, and South Africa. He has been the winner of many competitions and prizes, including the University of Vienna’s “Foundation Stefanie Hohl” award, top prize in the Kulenkampff International Competition (Cologne), and the International Music Competition (Pretoria, South Africa). He has recorded two CDs with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

The musician performs on a violin built in 1715 by Carlo Bergonzi, Cremona, on exclusive loan to him from the Austrian National Bank.