International Studies is an innovative academic major at Coe that combines interdisciplinary coursework, foreign language skills, and international study to develop your understanding of global issues.
Students of International Studies...
- Believe that contemporary global issues are best understood through an INTERDISCIPLINARY approach. Students gain foundational knowledge in political science, anthropology, and economics; and may continue with advanced coursework in these areas as well as in history and many other disciplines. Because of its interdisciplinary framework, International Studies is a quintessentially liberal-arts discipline.
- Want to EXPERIENCE global issues first-hand, on site. For this reason, students of International Studies spend at least one full term in a foreign country on an appropriate program studying international issues.
- SPECIALIZE by selecting a suite of advanced coursework in one of three interdisciplinary topical areas ("tracks"): The Global South, International Relations, or Global Cultural Studies (Contemporary European Studies).
- INTEGRATE their learning in a senior "capstone" research project on a global issue of particular interest.
- Desire to make an IMPACT on their world through careers that include service in the Peace Corps, work for international non-governmental organizations, work in international government sectors such as the State Department, or work with think tanks, foundations, or other sorts of agencies.