Enrollment: Approximately 1,400 students representing most of the United States and 20 foreign countries.
Average class size: 16
Student-Faculty ratio: 11:1
Average HS GPA: 3.7
Average ACT score: 26
Average SAT score: 1,215
Faculty: 86 full-time, 76 part-time, and no teaching assistants; 95% hold the highest degree in their field.
Total cost: $53,530 for full-time tuition, room, meals, and student fees in 2018-2019. Coe is committed to assisting students through its financial aid programs.
Graduate placement: In recent years, nearly 100% of reporting graduates were employed or in graduate school within one year of graduation.
Enjoy Cedar Rapids: The second largest city in Iowa offers abundant internship, cultural and recreational opportunities.
- Every Coe student participates in an internship, student research, practicum or a study abroad program during their time at Coe.
- Coe offers over 35 off-campus study opportunities.
- Coe has over 80 clubs and organizations available for student involvement.
The Coe Difference:
- 31% of incoming Coe freshmen rank in the top 10% of their high school class.
- One in seven Coe students scored a 30 or greater on the ACT.
- 50% of Coe students come from out-of-state.
Coe College Overview
- Coe College is a selective, private, nationally recognized four-year coeducational liberal arts institution that has provided a superior education for students in a residential setting since 1851.
- Coe is one of the finest liberal arts colleges in the U.S. and is featured in college guidebooks such as The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges" and "Peterson's Guide to Selective Colleges." Barron's "300 Best Buys in College Education" ranks Coe as "Very Competitive." Coe was recently named as one of "America's Best Kept College Secrets" in a new college guidebook.
- Coe is also one of only five private colleges in Iowa with a Phi Beta Kappa Chapter. Phi Beta Kappa is the most distinguished honor society and colleges selected for the honor are selected on the basis for academic excellence.
A National Reputation for Academic Quality
- Coe is recognized as one of the most selective colleges in Iowa in terms of selectivity for admission, based on average ACT scores, percent of students in the top 10% of their graduating class, and percent of students in the top 50% of their graduating class.
- The key to Coe's tradition of excellence in academic quality relates directly to small class sizes and the interest shown by professors to make learning a personalized experience.
- Along with quality instruction from superb faculty, Coe offers an abundance of out-of-class opportunities to provide students with a well-rounded experience and solid preparation for the future.
- Coe offers unsurpassed opportunities for helping students develop their writing skills, from the Writing-Across-the-Curriculum program to the country's largest undergraduate writing center.
- In recent years, nearly 100% of reporting graduates were employed or in graduate school within one year of graduation.
- Within two to three years of graduation, more than 50% of Coe's graduates go on to do some form of post-graduate study. Typically, this involves law school, medical school or graduate study leading to a master's degree or Ph.D.
Experience Pays Off with the Coe Plan
- One reason Coe graduates succeed is because of the unique opportunities provided by the Coe Plan.
- The Coe Plan introduces students to a variety of experiences through internships, off-campus study, and individual research with faculty, as well as special guest lecturers, and personal career planning and advice.
- Through the Coe Plan, students have the opportunity to learn from industry and academic professionals around the country and around the world.
- Coe College encourages its students to gain a global perspective by offering off-campus study through the exchange programs. Students can study and receive course credit at universities in France, Germany, Japan, Korea, Northern Ireland, Spain, Sweden and Thailand.
- In addition, through study abroad opportunities available through the Associated Colleges of the Midwest, students can study in virtually any country they choose.
The Attractive Coe Campus
- The attractive Coe campus, located near the center of Cedar Rapids, has doubled in size in recent years with the addition of new apartment-style residential facilities.
- Coe's oldest building - Stuart Hall - was completely renovated in 2006 creating nearly 36,000 square feet of new and renovated classroom space and faculty offices.
- The campus features a newly remodeled dining hall with multiple food stations, an expanded Stewart Memorial Library, a well-equipped science facility and a modern fine arts center.
- Coe offers state-of-the-art fitness facilities that are available to all students, including a modern racquet center and an Olympic-sized swimming pool.
- In 2007, FieldTurf was installed at Clark Field, creating an all-weather playing surface for football, soccer, intramurals and other uses.
- Peterson Hall of Science underwent an extensive $12 million renovation in 2012, creating new classrooms and laboratories for Coe's outstanding science programs.
Student Life at Coe
- Central to the liberal arts educational philosophy of Coe is that students live in college residences and are integrated into the college community to enhance the overall academic experience.
- More than 90% of Coe students participate in extracurricular activities.
- Coe students actively support more than 80 student clubs and organizations ranging from Artists Anonymous to intramurals to the Physics Club.
- Fine arts programs provide a cornerstone of activity at Coe, with a wide variety of music, art, and theatre opportunities.
- Coe College is a member of one of the most active and competitive conferences in NCAA Division III, providing excellent opportunities for participation of student-athletes. Coe is committed to providing student-athletes with outstanding educational and athletic experiences where sportsmanship and integrity are emphasized as much as winning. Varsity athletic opportunities include:
- Coe is one of just a few private liberal arts colleges in the nation located in a metropolitan area of 267,000 residents.
- The Cedar Rapids area provides an abundance of internship, cultural and recreational opportunities for students.
For more information about Cedar Rapids, click here.