Cedar Rapids Information
What to Do
Some people may think that Iowa is nothing more than cornfields, but as the second largest metro area in the state of Iowa, Cedar Rapids will quickly prove that theory wrong. There are over 100 restaurants in the area ranging from American to Vietnamese fare, 100 night spots that offer anything from listening to the latest sounds to country line dancing, a variety of activities for the arts buff as well as the outdoorsy type, and the friendliness of a small community all in one place. Discover Cedar Rapids and enjoy yourself!
Cedar Rapids: one of the nation's best communities
With a metropolitan population of more than 175,000, Cedar Rapids consistently ranks as one of the nation's top communities in which to live, work, play and raise a family. Recent accolades Cedar Rapids and the surrounding communities have earned include being among the best places in America to live, educate children, do business, commute and volunteer.
- Cedar Rapids is one of "America's Best Cities on the Rise", according to Smarter Travel. The city ranked #10 as an exceptional, up-and-coming destination offering more than meets the eye.
- Cedar Rapids is one of the top "12 Best Cities for High Paying Jobs", according to Kiplinger. The city is ranked #7 because of its below-average unemployment and above-average income growth.
- Cedar Rapids has been selected as one of "America's 10 Best Places to Grow Up" by U.S. News and World Report. A number of data points are considered, including crime rate, area schools, abundant green space, recreational activities, cultural activities and kids per square mile.
- Cedar Rapids has been called one of the "Best Places for Business and Careers" by Forbes magazine.
The Region - Iowa's Creative Corridor
Discover Cedar Rapids and the surrounding region, known as Iowa's Creative Corridor.
- Cedar Rapids Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Amana Colonies
- Iowa City/Coralville Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Iowa's Creative Corridor
- View a listing of hotels that offer a Coe rate here.
Who believes a cultural Mecca exists in the middle of cornfields and farms? We do! Enjoy a play, musical, or opera performed by fellow Cedar Rapidians at Theatre Cedar Rapids. Catch a Broadway tour or concert at the U.S. Cellular Center or the Paramount Theater. Check out art by locals or see visiting exhibits at the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art or the Cedar Rapids Area Cultural Alliance.
To see a complete calendar of cultural events for the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area, visit www.culturalcorridor.org.
The area offers minor league baseball and hockey teams, and several sports facilities where everyone can play. Check out just a few of the many sports offerings:
- Cedar Rapids Kernels: As an affiliate of the Minnesota Twins, the CR Kernels heat up eastern Iowa with great all-American entertainment in a brand new stadium!
- Cedar Rapids RoughRiders: Professional Hockey Club: Enjoy a night of hard-hitting hockey with the local pro club, or spend some time practicing your figure eight.
- Tait Cummins Sports Complex: This 8.5-acre sports complex features four tournament-quality softball diamonds, a concession stand, and picnic areas.
- Tuma Soccer Complex: Newly developed 20-field complex including a state-of-the-art sprinkler system, and parking.
- BMX Track: Biking your thing? Try out this track for BMX bike riding.
- Riverside Skate Park: The skate park is a new facility that provides a safe environment for extreme sports such as in-line skating, skateboarding, and biking. Open 6 a.m.-10 p.m. year-round.
Visit the many parks around the area for climbing, camping, canoeing, biking, hiking, Frisbee golf, etc.
With two major shopping malls in Cedar Rapids and one of the largest shopping malls in Iowa (located in Iowa City), your favorite store is never far away! Cedar Rapids is also home to fabulous boutiques that cater to any tastes. Whether it's a local shop in the historic downtown area of Cedar Rapids, or a major shopping mall you're looking for, we have you covered!
Cedar Rapids is home to two major hospitals - St. Lukes Hospital is located very conveniently right across the street from Coe, and Mercy Medical Center is a few short blocks from campus.
Business, industry and internships
Cedar Rapids is in the heart of one of the leading manufacturing regions in the U.S. and one of the leading bio-processing and food ingredient centers in North America. It is the largest corn-processing city in the world.
As the home to nearly 300 manufacturing plants and two dozen Fortune 500 companies, including Rockwell Collins, General Mills and Quaker Oats, Cedar Rapids provides an abundance of internship opportunities for Coe students.