Withdrawing and Returning to Coe College - Absent More Than Five Months

If you will be absent from the US between 5+ months and will not maintain registration at Coe to keep working on your degree program (such as through an official study abroad program), the Director of International is required to terminate your SEVIS record. This does not carry negative connotations and should not affect your ability to return to your studies when you are ready. Please contact the DIA and request a "Withdrawal Request - More than Five Months" to have your withdrawal approved.

To reenter the US after a 5-12-month absence, you must contact the DIA, ideally at three to five months before your plan to return, in order to obtain a new, initial I-20. 

If you will be absent from the US more than 12 months and will not maintain registration, you must also contact the Office of Admissions and ask for any additional instructions. 

Because of the length of your absence, you will be issued a new, initial I-20 with a new SEVIS identification number. This means:

  1. You will be required to pay the SEVIS fee before you will be allowed to re-enter the US. Please refer to our instructions on paying the SEVIS fee.
  2. You will be required to obtain a new F-1 visa even if your old visa still appears to be valid.
  3. You can only re-enter the US up to 30 days before the report date on the new I-20.
  4. You will need to contact the DIA as soon as you return to the US. If you do not check in, your SEVIS record will be automatically terminated by the system after 30 days and you lose your legal ability to be in the US.
  5. Once you have returned to the US, you will not be eligible for Curricular Practical Training or Optional Practical Training. until you have been registered full-time for one full academic year (summer session excluded).