Health Related Links
Healthiest State Initiative - The Healthiest State Initiative is a program intended to inspire communities throughout the state of Iowa to improve their health and happiness.
Helpful Online Health Resources:
- The Mayo Clinic - Sponsored by the famed Mayo Clinic this site offers a search tool, diseases and information by topic, newsletters and Timely Topics as well as offering you the ability to set up a personal page to match your health and wellness issues.
- WebMD Health - Put together by doctors and award winning journalists, this site offers a search tool, newsletters and a directory of health issues.
- MEDLINE - National Library of Medicine. Health professionals and consumers alike can depend on it for information that is authoritative and up to date. MEDLINE plus has extensive information from the National Institutes of Health and other trusted sources on over 600 diseases and conditions.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) - The CDC works to protect America from health, safety and security threats, both foreign and in the U.S. Whether diseases start at home or abroad, are chronic or acute, curable or preventable, human error or deliberate attack, CDC fights disease and supports communities and citizens to do the same.
Web Sites for specific issues:
Drugs, Alcohol and Related Issues
- In The Know Zone - Click able categories cover many different subject areas, including, substance abuse education. This an interactive web site produced by Syndistar Inc., a leader in the publication of supplemental educational print, video and software.
- Drug Rehab Locator - Helping you find a drug rehab location that's best for you.
- Addiction Center - Addiction Center was founded by recovering addicts and health information writers. Their goal is to provide the most up-to-date information on addiction as well as reviews of top treatment centers across the country. For immediate treatment help call 1-877-680-9296.
- College Drug Abuse - The resources provides information on binge drinking, study aid stimulants (Adderall, etc.), and drug use among college students.
Mental Health Issues
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) - The nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
- Foundation 2 - Foundation 2 is a not-for-profit human service agency that offers crisis prevention and intervention programs to people of all ages. They are committed to positive youth development, suicide prevention, and helping build the foundation for stronger and healthier families and safer communities for everyone. Available 24/7: Call 1-800-332-4224.
- American Association of Suicidology - Know the warning signs of suicide!
- Riverview Center - Riverview Center is a nonprofit agency committed to providing compassionate, client-centered care for individuals affected by sexual assault in Iowa, and for individuals affected by sexual and domestic violence in Illinois.
- College depression: What parents need to know - College depression is a common problem. Understand why the transition to college makes young adults vulnerable to depression - and what you can do about it.
- The Top Mental Health Challenges Facing Students - The National Alliance on Mental Illness, estimates that nearly 33% of college students have experienced debilitating depression over the last year. This absolutely impacts student outcomes. In fact, 64% of students who drop out of school do so because of their mental health. This prompted our college planning experts at BestColleges.com to develop "The Top Mental Health Challenges Facing Students."
STIs and Sexual Health Issues
- American Sexual Health Association - This site is put together by ASHA a non-governmental resource that has advocated on behalf of patients to help improve public health outcomes since 1914. You will find facts, support and resources to answer questions, find referrals, join HELP groups, and get access to in-depth information about sexually transmitted diseases.
- CDC Information on Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
- Young Women's Health - This is a collaboration between the Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine and the Division of Gynecology at Boston Children's Hospital. The Center is an educational entity that exists to provide teen girls and young women with carefully researched health information, health education programs, and conferences.
- The Besider - Bedsider.org is an online birth control support network for women 18-29 operated by The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, a private non-profit organization.
Know and Protect Your Skin!
- American Academy of Dermatology - This site is put together by the AAD. It has a search tool and click able categories for specific skin disorders. Also available are articles from the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology.
- Skin Cancer Foundation
Eating Disorders and Body Image Information
- National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) - Confidential Helpline: 1-800-931-2237
- PROUD2BMe - Building a nation where confidence rules!
- Mirror-Mirror Eating Disorders - A website providing education and support on eating disorders and body image.
- Student Eating Disorder Awareness Guidebook