In addition to service-learning experiences in many Rhetoric classes, the department offers a number of opportunities to learn outside the classroom.
- Communicating Common Ground - National Service Learning Initiative in Multicultural Education with Elementary schools
- African American Museum
- Lakota Culture & Communication on the Reservation
- Elements of TV & Radio Broadcasting
- Speaking Center - The Speaking Center provides individual consultation for students interested in improving their speaking skills. Faculty and staff also use the center and participate in Teaching and Learning Workshops that address how to integrate oral communication into any classroom.
- Writing Center - The Coe Writing Center is a place for conversation and composition. Students can bring papers in any stage of writing, from assignment to final draft, to the Writing Center.
- Nature Writing - Taught during the summer at the college's Wilderness Field Station in Minnesota's Superior National Forest this course investigates strategies for writing about the natural world in an informal workshop format.
- Writers Colony - An intensive workshop taught off campus during May term. Recent Writers' Colonies have been held at Tybee Island, Georgia; Inner Mongolia; and the Lake District in England. Click here to view a website created by students who participated in the 2010 trip to New Zealand.