Recognizing that music is a crucial component of the Liberal Arts experience, the Coe College Department of Music believes in the significance of offering a strong music program to students of all ability levels - from the novice to the pre-professional musician. Therefore, the mission of the Department of Music is:
- To provide the highest quality pre-professional undergraduate music training possible in the areas of performance, elementary and secondary vocal and instrumental teaching, and theory and composition; this program shall remain consistent with the educational objectives and standards of the college as a whole, consistent with the standards of the National Association of Schools of Music, consistent with traditionally recognized practices in the pre-professional training of musicians, and consistent with, and in accordance with, the skills, areas of expertise, and professional goals of its music faculty taken as a whole.
- To provide a broad range of opportunities for study and participation in both performance and music courses by students who may not intend to pursue music as a profession.
- To provide support for the creative, artistic, and professional development of its music faculty.
- To provide the services of performance and music expertise to the college community in the forms of concerts, ceremonial music, and interdisciplinary teaching.
- To provide leadership in educational and cultural experiences in music to the outside community.