What is Athletic Training?
Athletic training is an allied healthcare profession that deals with physically active individuals from the time of initial injury until their unrestricted return to athletics or activity. The certified athletic trainer (ATC) is a medical expert who specializes in the prevention, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries to facilitate a safe return to athletics or physical activity.
Coe College offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in Athletic Training which combines four years of concentrated studies and three-and-one-half years of clinical experiences for students wishing to prepare for the Board of Certification (BOC) examination to become a certified athletic trainer (ATC).
The curriculum prepare students to function as allied healthcare professionals by incorporating the National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA) Athletic Training Educational Competencies related to injury prevention, pathology of injury, evaluation, acute care, pharmacology, therapeutic modalities & exercise, general medical conditions, nutrition, psychosocial intervention, healthcare administration and professional development.
This program may also interest students who plan to pursue professional programs in physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician assistant, medicine or other healthcare professions.
Top ten reasons to study Athletic Training at Coe
- Coe College was the first Iowa Intercollegiate Conference School to become accredited.
- Small class sizes, equals more hands on experience.
- Coe College’s Athletic Training Education Program also allows for students to participate in Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Excellent mentoring from a large selection of faculty and staff.
- An opportunity to work with talented Division III athletes.
- Outstanding Graduate School Preparation
- Higher first time passing rate than the national average on the Certification Exam.
- Being in a larger city than most Division III schools allows for a wide variety of clinical experiences; high school, collegiate, hospital, and professional sports.
- Internship Opportunities in MLB, NFL, WNBA, Minor League Hockey and Baseball.
- Multiple Athletic Training Rooms with up to date, state of the art equipment.